I am a UKCP Registered Integrative Psychotherapist and Counsellor with over 10 years’ experience in Private Practice, the NHS, at Reading University and in Tanzania at The Aga Khan Hospital. I work with adults on a wide range of issues. I am based in Reading, Berkshire. I offer:
- Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy - both long and short term;
- Telephone/Skype/Email Counselling and Psychotherapy nationally and internationally
How I Work
Sometimes in life everyone has challenges and difficulties that may lead to feelings of being overwhelmed, stuck, confused and unsure of the way ahead. These feelings may be related to what is happening now, and they can also be connected to past experiences, particularly so if these have been traumatic or overwhelming. Therapy offers a safe, non- judgemental and healing space in which to make sense of your experiences and find a way forward. This process is a unique journey for each person. As an Integrative Therapist I am flexible in my approach. This means that I strive to work with each individual in the way that is most appropriate for them.
For some people what is most needed is simply the space and time to reflect. While others prefer a Cognitive Behavioural (CBT) approach, so that they can learn specific skills and strategies to make positive life changes.
For many people an introduction to techniques such as Mindfulness and Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) are very helpful. I am also trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR).
To give you a more specific idea of some of the ways that counselling could help you I have given some examples below:
• Reduce stress, anxiety and depression and low mood
• Develop a new perspective on life’s challenges and find a way forward
• Improve your confidence and self esteem
• Resolve relationship and workplace issues
• Manage transitions and losses such as house moves, parenthood, career change, divorce and bereavement
• Overcome the effects of trauma and Post Traumatic Stress
• Develop communication skills that will improve the quality of your relationships
• Relieve psychosomatic symptoms of stress such as IBS and headaches, migraine and insomnia
• Become aware of and then let go of negative self-destructive patterns of thought or behaviour
• Develop a clearer sense self, and start to live more fully and freely
• Increase energy and the ability to focus on work/study
There are many other areas where counselling can also be beneficial, if your issue is not covered above please feel free to make an initial appointment to discuss whether counselling would be helpful for you.